Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having feelings that are too easily excited and displayed.‘we're not an overemotional family’
unpredictable, changeable, variable, inconstant, inconsistent, uncertain, erratic, irregular, unstable, turbulent, unsteady, unsettled, unreliable, undependable, changing, ever-changing, varying, shifting, fluctuating, fluid, mutable, protean, fitful, wavering, full of ups and downsView synonyms
- ‘Girls are sweet, well-behaved, self-sacrificing, passive, submissive, overemotional, and, above all, attractive.’
- ‘When you're not wearing the necklace are you overemotional?’
- ‘But now I see I was just being overemotional again.’
- ‘Ah, but it's a double-edged sword, you see, and it always is for those ill-adjusted overemotional beings who make their living by playing tennis.’
- ‘It's not that one way's better than the other, but I do help women to realize that it doesn't help when you're overemotional.’
- ‘For an overemotional nerd like me the bells started ringing once that sentence was completed.’
- ‘If he can keep from getting overemotional - a problem he has had in the past - he may eventually win the league's defensive MVP award.’
- ‘At least being overemotional benefits me when it comes to my writing.’
- ‘Ah, well, I guess I'm just an overemotional little woman.’
- ‘I know nothing of my mom, and all of my dad's friends are so overemotional.’
- ‘Meanwhile, klutzy, overemotional Simone was sobbing madly, because she had gotten herself caught in the folding chair.’
- ‘He's mature enough to learn from bad performances, rather than becoming overemotional.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.