Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A deficit in a bank account caused by drawing more money than the account holds.‘when I left Cambridge I had a £900 overdraft’[as modifier] ‘customers will be given a guaranteed overdraft facility’
credit, advanceView synonyms
- ‘If you have debts, whether they are bank overdrafts, personal loans or unpaid credit card bills then start by itemising all those outstanding loans.’
- ‘We'd all be miles better off if we could steer clear of expensive debts, such as overdrafts, credit cards, store credit, personal loans and so on.’
- ‘Crucially, you will both be individually and jointly responsible for any overdrafts or debt on the joint account.’
- ‘If you count your overdraft, credit card or loan as disposable income, you're wrong.’
- ‘Presumably, those unable to survive would need to take out a loan or use credit cards and overdrafts to pay living expenses until they could get back on their feet.’
- ‘So you need to clear away overdrafts, credit card balances and any personal loans.’
- ‘Credit cards, store credit, overdrafts - even personal loans - are all expensive ways to borrow.’
- ‘It's possible to save a tidy fortune by switching loans, overdrafts, credit and store card balances to 0% cards.’
- ‘Apparently, all of them are now steadily nibbling away at their overdrafts and credit card debts and supporting each other while doing it.’
- ‘Interest rates on credit cards, overdrafts and personal loans are usually multiples of what you receive for savings on deposit.’
- ‘Some issuers even allow you to transfer other expensive debts, such as overdrafts and loans, to a zero-interest deal.’
- ‘Historically, granting bank officials overdrafts was viewed as promoting poor financial habits and setting a bad example to customers.’
- ‘Experience shows that it is important to include all bank loans, overdrafts and credit cards into any reduced payment scheme.’
- ‘What's more, as well as interest on approved overdrafts, banks usually levy ongoing arrangement and review fees for larger overdraft limits.’
- ‘Can I link a savings account to a checking account to cover overdrafts and, if so, what is the monthly charge?’
- ‘Credit cards, overdrafts and personal loans are unspeakably expensive!’
- ‘If you get an overdraft from a bank, terms and conditions, as they say, apply.’
- ‘Such products include personal loans, credit cards and overdrafts.’
- ‘Do not include the payments you are supposed to make on any unsecured credit such as personal loans, overdrafts and credit cards at this stage.’
- ‘But even so, much of a student's debt comes from bank overdrafts and credit cards and who could resist an easy-peasy way of getting shot of those?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.