Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Develop too much or to excess.‘cycling may overdevelop the calf muscles’‘Majorca's overdeveloped coastline’
- ‘Too many pushups, for instance, can overdevelop the chest muscles and force your swing off-line.’
- ‘If they are judged unacceptable and overdeveloped, he will only have himself to blame.’
- ‘The plans had been previously deferred by members who thought the scheme would overdevelop the area.’
- ‘The housing has to be sympathetic and in character and it must not be overdeveloped.’
- ‘I cannot tell the difference, and I am mightily suspicious of those who claim they can, believing that such overdeveloped taste buds must be having a depleting, detrimental effect to some other bodily function.’
- ‘Of course, the former are never referred to as overdeveloped, for to do so would indicate a negative connotation.’
- ‘Autopsies have shown the brain of the neurotypical is typically smaller than that of an autistic individual and may have overdeveloped areas related to social behavior.’
- ‘It touched me deeply to find such a teeming manifestation of indigenous life in a landscape so mercilessly overdeveloped.’
- ‘If the Government insists on proceeding with the proposed National Stadium it should not be sited in already overdeveloped and gridlocked Dublin.’
- ‘You can actually overdevelop your six-pack, neglecting important underlying muscles and contributing to low-back pain.’
- ‘You've only to look at the selfless behaviour of those assembled in the political arena just along the road to see that New Zealanders have a highly overdeveloped sense of fair play.’
- ‘This is often related to the occurrence of excess fat or, less frequently, overdeveloped muscles.’
- ‘If you're approaching Italy from the elegantly manicured and often overdeveloped French Riviera, then Liguria comes as a delightful surprise.’
- ‘But at the same time I guess I have this perhaps overdeveloped sense of what's proper, which constrains me somewhat.’
- ‘The reason those proteins are there is that as the fetus develops, it keeps the brain from overdeveloping, and if the brain overdevelops it would develop tumors.’
- ‘They have overdeveloped the area so there is already excessive competition for spaces.’
- ‘One city becomes overdeveloped while the rest of the nation comparatively lies fallow.’
- ‘We may need to expand to do this, but we do not want to overdevelop North Yorkshire and ruin what is such a beautiful county.’
- ‘We should not allow the county to be overdeveloped unless we are about to keep pace with the developments.’
- ‘In practise, this merely meant that I clung tightly to my jungle guide, and wondered for ages whether I had an overdeveloped right thigh muscle.’
Treat with developer for too long.‘you can overdevelop the film to make up for underexposure’
- ‘It is not possible to overdevelop, and it is important to completely develop the remaining silver halide.’
- ‘The effect is to keep the high values of the negative from being overdeveloped, hence unprintable, by reducing them before development.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.