Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Determine, account for, or cause (something) in more than one way or with more conditions than are necessary.‘direct control overdetermines prices’
- ‘The current condition of the rangelands was overdetermined by a complex web of factors, all in interaction with one another, and in which environmental factors were but one component.’
- ‘The dominant-submissive interplay which the playwright labours to construct in words is massively overdetermined by the director-editor's unimaginative choice of shots.’
- ‘But this powerful stage image of breaking glass is overdetermined with other significations as well.’
- ‘Their identities were overdetermined by these interests and concerns, and resistance cannot capture the full range of either their intent or their actions.’
- ‘It is becoming increasingly clear that this argument, while right overall, significantly overdetermined the role of technology.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.