Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make (something) more complicated than necessary.‘the basic idea is quite simple but some people tend to overcomplicate it’‘an overcomplicated tax system’
- ‘Always keep your design simple, never over-complicate the process.’
- ‘The only thing that prevented England going on from this score was their tendency to overcomplicate matters in the danger areas.’
- ‘Normally we would advise you not to over complicate things by using too many different materials.’
- ‘Beware, this weekend, a tendency to overcomplicate a simple situation.’
- ‘The result, I think, is to overcomplicate breastfeeding.’
- ‘The truth about most physical actions, in my opinion, is that we greatly over complicate them.’
- ‘Obviously, attacking off first phase ball is best but we over complicated things at times.’
- ‘The Government is committed to aquaculture law reform because the current legislative framework is outdated, overcomplicated, and dysfunctional.’
- ‘Avoid purple prose, that is over complicated or unnatural or archaic language.’
- ‘The Newry team put in a lot more effort and liked to over complicate things when going forward.’
- ‘The multipurpose design requirement threatened to overcomplicate instruments for the technicians who use them in the field.’
- ‘My friend Ryan, for instance, has a penchant for overcomplicating everything, his own sentences included.’
- ‘We overcomplicate it by trying to find the quicker, easier solution.’
- ‘Even getting a ticket for the match is over complicated these days.’
- ‘The rearguard still looked unshakeable but going forward City too often over complicated matters.’
- ‘However, for the individual investor detailed calculations based upon what might happen to each particular drug is overcomplicating the issue.’
- ‘Certainly Salmond did not allow the launch on Friday to be over-complicated by the issue of hard cash.’
- ‘Defences were certainly on top during an uneventful opening 45 minutes in which Rovers were often guilty of trying to over-complicate things going forward.’
- ‘Agresti remains true to his diminutive hero, never breaking off from his point of view in an attempt to over-complicate the drama.’
- ‘It reminded me of Get Shorty in which celebrities have a strange compulsion to overcomplicate food orders.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.