Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A long warm coat.
- ‘You should also look out for pockets, the lapel's style, and whether or not the overcoat has a vent in the back.’
- ‘The men are in plain clothes and wear light raincoats or light overcoats over their uniforms.’
- ‘Skirts, overcoats, cardigans and vests were made predominantly from cotton and linen, many embroidered with folklore emblems.’
- ‘The overcoats and jackets he sent down the runway were to die for.’
- ‘Contrast is not an issue between dark charcoal overcoats and khakis (traditional tan-colored), provided your shirt is a lighter color than your pants.’
- ‘They dressed us head to toe, hat to shoes, overcoats to underwear.’
- ‘You can quickly improvise a shield to cover your forearm by wrapping a suit coat, jacket or overcoat around it.’
- ‘With cashmere and wool overcoats, you're sure to stay warm and adequately cool, since natural fabrics like wool tend to be breathable.’
- ‘Cary tugged on an overcoat and pulled a beanie over his ears.’
- ‘Women have more interesting choices in overcoats but even the more creatively stylish ones seem to me to radiate a solid hint of professionalism.’
- ‘They were both wearing dark dresses, with dark overcoats and gloves and hats.’
- ‘Miss Leonard said the man had a white coat under his overcoat, and had what appeared to be medical-style equipment on the back seat.’
- ‘From the coolest raincoats to the classiest overcoats, you're not ready for spring until you get your hands on a spring jacket.’
- ‘As winter was to arrive soon, and the evenings were getting colder, I decided to get my warm overcoat and some waterproof boots for my trip.’
- ‘Dressed in a suit with a warm overcoat, he obviously had money and a comfortable life.’
- ‘From biker and track styles to slick overcoats, these jackets will keep you looking great this spring, rain or shine.’
- ‘The Huntsman collection includes suits, sports coats, overcoats, blazers, shirts and ties: time-honoured essentials of the smartly-attired gentleman about town and country.’
- ‘The men don caftans, felt overcoats, or jackets.’
- ‘There wasn't a tie and the entire outfit was black from the overcoat to the under shirt, to the slacks and shoes.’
- ‘He stood there, his arms crossed across his chest, which was covered by a thin, white linen shirt and a leather overcoat.’
2A top, final layer of paint or a similar covering.
- ‘A final, clear overcoat is added to protect against ultraviolet rays and moisture.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.