One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make a higher bid than an opponent's bid.‘at my table West had overcalled in diamonds’with object ‘after North had overcalled two diamonds, East jumped to four spades’
- ‘If someone offers to declare, a later player may overcall by offering to reveal, in which case the first may raise his call to a revelation.’
- ‘This means that there is no advantage in bidding solo 9, 10, 11 or 12 except to overcall another bidder.’
- ‘It can only be overcalled by the dealer also offering also to ‘shoot the moon‘.’
- ‘It is also possible to overcall a contract with a similar contract in which hearts are trumps.’
- ‘A bid can only be overcalled by calling a lower card of the same suit as the original bid.’
An act or instance of overcalling.‘an overcall of two no trumps alerts partner to the good news’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.