Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Excessively elaborate.‘a courtly, over-elaborate speech’‘the new structure was criticized as over-elaborate’
pretentious, high-flown, ostentatious, pompous, grandiose, over-elaborate, overblown, overripe, overworked, overdoneView synonyms
- ‘White picket fencing, kerbstones around plots and over-elaborate flower beds were also to be stopped in a bid to tidy up cemeteries.’
- ‘Portraits are not usually over-elaborate, and ought to portray a likeness of the subject, also offering some insight to the subject's personality.’
- ‘For once, showboating and over-elaborate play had replaced their usual ruthless efficiency.’
- ‘Standing on the grassy down above them was a young woman dressed in a long-sleeved dark blue top and a knee-length black skirt, which seemed strange and over-elaborate in the excessive heat.’
- ‘The judge should be wary of an over-elaborate and analytical approach.’
- ‘One way or another, the system appears to be an over-elaborate, profit-driven, under-regulated mess.’
- ‘In such a situation it would be stupid to provide an over-elaborate explanation.’
- ‘At times the attempt to jam poems full of New Zealand's many disparate actual and imagined elements, and the occasional use of over-elaborate diction, don't allow the reader to form an image or establish a mood.’
- ‘So the critics will continue to say that he is too unpredictable and over-elaborate, but that is the downside of genius.’
- ‘The court should avoid an over-elaborate analysis of the article, because an ordinary reader would not analyse the article as a lawyer or accountant would analyse documents or accounts.’
- ‘I suspect some listeners will hate it, thinking it too over-elaborate, but I love it.’
- ‘It is simplicity in a pudding bowl, and the tradition of a final splash of whisky on top is neither an affected nor over-elaborate addition.’
- ‘At the time I was inclined to think that the network of commissioning and monitoring committees was over-elaborate, but with hindsight I can see the point of it.’
- ‘The plot is over-elaborate and the style is rudimentary, but the romance is full of life and traditional motifs.’
- ‘While limiting its attention to what the defendant has actually said or written the court should be cautious of an over-elaborate analysis of the material issue.’
Explain or treat in excessive detail.‘if they don't over-elaborate the story I don't question it’
overstate, overemphasize, overstress, overestimate, overvalue, magnify, amplify, aggrandize, inflateView synonyms
- ‘We don't go out to do so much handpassing, and we might have over-elaborated at times in the semi-final, but that happens.’
- ‘With the Irish pack ruling the roost, and Scotland over-elaborating to a ridiculous degree on the few occasions they managed to get their hands on the ball, the young Irish backs began to look increasingly incisive.’
- ‘The home side struggled to move the ball away from the base of the scrum and also over-elaborated in their own half when a policy of sticking to the basics may have served them better.’
- ‘For all their flourishes, they lack cutting edge, consistently over-elaborating when it seemed more sensible to shoot.’
- ‘I thought we started positively and we were knocking it about but then we started to over-elaborate.’
- ‘The ghostwriter wants to produce a good book and they have over-elaborated on things.’
- ‘Never seeking to over-elaborate on the emotion, Polanski chooses to keep things fundamentally austere.’
- ‘Her voice was so expressive because of its incredible calm and internal fortitude, never needing to do too much or to over-elaborate.’
- ‘His lawyer accused the teenager of deliberately over-elaborating a simple incident.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.