One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A female reproductive organ in which ova or eggs are produced, present in humans and other vertebrates as a pair.
- ‘Iron can also accumulate in the endocrine gland system and can result in decreased function of the ovary or testis.’
- ‘The remaining uterus, cervix, ovaries, and fallopian tubes were otherwise unremarkable.’
- ‘The ovaries are two small organs that are part of the female reproductive system.’
- ‘Whether the gonads become ovaries or testes is determined by the chromosomes received from the parents at the time of conception.’
- ‘Steroids are produced by the cortex or outer layer of the adrenal gland and by the ovaries and testes.’
- ‘There was an increased amount of fibrous and adipose tissue below the left ovary, alongside the uterus.’
- ‘Nearly equal amounts of the hormone are derived from the adrenal glands and the ovaries.’
- ‘They mimic the hormones produced by the female ovaries and the male testes in animals, which regulate growth and reproduction.’
- ‘One hypothesis takes into consideration the fact that, in females, the eggs are present in the ovaries at birth.’
- ‘They are produced mainly by the female ovaries and male testes, which are endocrine glands.’
- ‘The yolk proteins produced in both the ovary and hepatopancreas carry the vital lipids to the developing eggs.’
- ‘Tests might include, for example, an ultrasound scan of the pelvis to look at the uterus and ovaries.’
- ‘This misplaced tissue may be found on the ovaries, uterus, bowel, pelvis and abdomen.’
- ‘A missing receptor molecule contributes to the growth of tumors in human ovaries.’
- ‘In the female reproductive tract, the ovary and the placenta have been identified as sources of RLF.’
- ‘A general correlation was found between bacterial levels in eggs and those found in ovaries and testis.’
- ‘The presence of a Y chromosome results in the somatic cells of the embryo's gonads developing into testes rather than into ovaries.’
- ‘One process is the coordination of the ovary and hepatopancreas in their capacity for yolk protein production.’
- ‘At the upper corners of the uterus, the fallopian tubes connect the uterus to the ovaries.’
- ‘No other abnormalities were detected in the cervix, uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes.’
- 1.1Botany The hollow base of the carpel of a flower, containing one or more ovules.
- ‘This initial excess establishes the conditions for resource competition among flowers and their ovaries.’
- ‘At the septum, pollen tubes migrate into the ovary and approach an ovule containing an FG.’
- ‘Many possess, at the base of the ovary, a disc-like nectary from which nectar is secreted via modified stomata.’
- ‘Each carpel has a terminal stigma and a basal ovary with a single ovule.’
- ‘If both of the ovaries in a flower contained pollen tubes a mean value was used in the analyses.’
Mid 17th century: from modern Latin ovarium, from Latin ovum ‘egg’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.