One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Surgical removal of one or both ovaries; oophorectomy.
- ‘Results showed that ovariectomy caused atrophy of the uterus that was prevented by 17 [beta] estradiol, but not soybean protein.’
- ‘Because ovariectomy in rats results in significant decrease of BMD and cancellous bone remodeling, it has been used as a model for estrogen-deficient, post-menopausal bone loss.’
- ‘Bilateral mastectomies or ovariectomy are recommended preventative measures, neither of which is a complete barrier to cancer development.’
- ‘Further, a decrease in the estrogen levels after ovariectomy would increase pituitary gonadotropin secretion and would stimulate the secretion of follicle-stimulating hormone and prolactin.’
- ‘Extracts also have been shown to be useful for younger women suffering hormonal deficits following ovariectomy or hysterectomy, as well as for juvenile menstrual disorders.’
- ‘In a study of guinea pigs, oral administration of diiodotyrosine prevented alterations in thyroid and pituitary function induced by ovariectomy.’
- ‘Thus in the course of the nineteenth century ovariectomies were performed as therapy for pathologies such as ‘hysteria’.’
- ‘Unilateral ovariectomy in rabbits doubles the ovulation rate in the remaining ovary and the adjacent uterine horn is crowded with embryos.’
- ‘Here we report the influence of ovariectomy on adrcnocortical cell function from S. virgatus.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.