One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[WITH OBJECT]usually as adjective ovariectomized
Perform surgical removal of one or both ovaries on (a woman or female animal)‘regulating the endocrine system in pregnant and ovariectomized rats’
- ‘We have shown that estrogen replacement in ovariectomized female rats attenuates blood pressure responses to psychological stress and that the non-conventional neurotransmitter, nitric oxide (NO), mediates these effects in the brain.’
- ‘The other group of ovariectomized mice was given only purified water.’
- ‘In contrast, Binkley et al found no benefit on bone turnover or distal femur BMD density in ovariectomized rats.’
- ‘The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has accepted the ovariectomized (OVX) rat model as a model for studying osteoporosis; thus, most rodent experiments have employed ovariectomized animals to study the effects of soy isoflavones.’
- ‘Postmenopausal osteoporosis, characterized by increased fracture risk, can be accurately modeled using ovariectomized animals.’
- ‘Four groups of eight rats and mouse were ovariectomized (ovx) by electrotomy via the dorsal route in anesthesia.’
- ‘On day 1, rats were either sham-operated or ovariectomized.’
- ‘A randomized placebo controlled study was undertaken to evaluate the effect of ipriflavone (IP) against the bone loss in premenopausal ovariectomized women and postmenopausal women.’
- ‘For example, stress can impair acquisition of a conditioned response in female rats (but not if ovariectomized) while the same stressor facilitates learning in males.’
- ‘Currently it is unknown whether long-term use of red clover would have an estrogenic effect on the human female breast or endometrium, but data suggest it is weakly estrogenic in the ovariectomized rat model.’
1920s: from ovariectomy + -ize.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.