One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- past participle of outwear
1Out of date.‘outworn prejudices’
out of date, outdated, old-fashioned, out of fashion, outmoded, dated, behind the times, ancient, archaic, antiquated, obsolescent, dead, obsolete, disused, defunct, tired, exhausted, stale, hackneyed, superannuatedView synonyms
- ‘Such language is meant, of course, to be redolent of hell and damnation, a caricature of old-time religion and its outworn morality.’
- 1.1 No longer usable or serviceable because of excessive wear.‘outworn lead flashings’
- ‘Even the narrow passageways were clogged with piles of papers stuffed in among outworn printing presses.’
- ‘Not only do they have a large range of new boots but they also offer a trade-in service - outgrown boots, not outworn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.