One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- past participle of outwear
1Out of date.‘outworn prejudices’
out of date, outdated, old-fashioned, out of fashion, outmoded, dated, behind the times, ancient, archaic, antiquated, obsolescent, dead, obsolete, disused, defunct, tired, exhausted, stale, hackneyed, superannuatedView synonyms
- ‘Such language is meant, of course, to be redolent of hell and damnation, a caricature of old-time religion and its outworn morality.’
- 1.1 No longer usable or serviceable because of excessive wear.‘outworn lead flashings’
- ‘Not only do they have a large range of new boots but they also offer a trade-in service - outgrown boots, not outworn.’
- ‘Even the narrow passageways were clogged with piles of papers stuffed in among outworn printing presses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.