Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Deceive by greater ingenuity.‘Ray had outwitted many an opponent’
outsmart, out-think, outmanoeuvre, outplay, be cleverer than, steal a march on, trick, gull, make a fool of, get the better ofoutfox, pull a fast one on, put one over on, make rings round, run rings roundoutjockeyView synonyms
- ‘And those who monitor intercepts can easily be outwitted.’
- ‘But keep to the model of The Doctor using his mind to outwit his opponents.’
- ‘In race after race Schumacher outwits opponents by overtaking them when they are stationary in the pits.’
- ‘In fact, in order to make sense of Aslan's victory it must be noted that he effectively deceives the witch and so outwits her in his return to life.’
- ‘United have even proved adept at switching the tactics mid-game to outwit opponents this season.’
- ‘Awestruck by its glittering new friends in business, but baffled by the complexities of the scheme it supports, it has been consistently outwitted and outmanoeuvred.’
- ‘Wal-Mart outwitted its rival by growing slowly since 1962 and first planting itself in many rural areas, where it cost much less to build.’
- ‘For decades scientists have sought reliable ways to detect deception, only to be outwitted by liars capable of deceiving their instruments.’
- ‘In recent months, Slavkov has outwitted his opponents.’
- ‘Gent can snap back at his opponents but would rather outwit them.’
- ‘In that case, the ones who are hurt the most are the least intelligent men, whose true equals have been snatched away by dominance-seeking men who have outwitted them.’
- ‘If youths consistently saw criminals outwitting police, they would idolise the criminals, Baksh added.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.