One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sprint faster than (someone).
- ‘The stage victory went to Alejandro Valverde, who outsprinted Armstrong in a thrilling finale.’
- ‘Only inexperience let the prodigious 16-year-old down when he was outsprinted by two senior riders after an ambitious lone attack was brought back.’
- ‘Once they had outsprinted Mr Elborough, the crooks must have felt that they were home and dry.’
- ‘The Scot outsprinted the remainder of a five-man breakaway to take the win in Beziers 24 hours after one of the worst days of his brief Tour career.’
- ‘It was Bristol flanker Michael Lipman who somehow outsprinted Sale's speed merchants in a 70 metre romp to the line.’
- ‘If he does not get rid of Hincapie, he is likely to be outsprinted by the American at the top.’
- ‘The Italian title was won by Paolo Bettini, who proved his Tour de France credentials by outsprinting his national rivals.’
- ‘Quickening his stride, he outsprinted Able Prince, with Scintillation nearly two lengths behind in third.’
- ‘I had done the first race in this series about a month ago and she had outsprinted me for the finish.’
- ‘Even so, it's almost always Tommy who gets home first, outsprinting the others up the hill, and then bragging about it the rest of the night.’
- ‘He has twice been crowned road race world champion, most recently in 2002 when he snuck up the inside of the bunch to outsprint his rivals in Lisbon.’
- ‘Furlan outsprinted Erik Zabel for the stage win’
- ‘But I had to try because he outsprinted me in the Alsager 5 a couple of years ago and I knew what he could do.’
- ‘Erik Zabel refused to be downhearted after being outsprinted for the third successive stage of the Tour de France.’
- ‘A biology teacher from the Swiss Alps spoiled the party by outsprinting the favourite Michellie Jones to the Opera House finish line.’
- ‘The pair worked well together, riding through several tunnels before the final steep two miles where Kay outsprinted the Egyptian to take his first win in a UCI international race.’
- ‘Erik Zabel was outsprinted for the second day in a row but insisted he was content to retain his green jersey in his native Germany.’
- ‘She outsprinted Carroll to win the 2000 race - only to have Carroll turn the tables on her in similar fashion at the 2002 finish.’
- ‘By the halfway mark the pair held a lead of more than 15 minutes, although Durand eventually crossed the finish line just 34 seconds ahead of the main pack after outsprinting Rodriguez.’
- ‘Time and time again he also outsprinted the German for minor placings after breakaways had won stages.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.