One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sprint faster than (someone).
- ‘But I had to try because he outsprinted me in the Alsager 5 a couple of years ago and I knew what he could do.’
- ‘Time and time again he also outsprinted the German for minor placings after breakaways had won stages.’
- ‘Only inexperience let the prodigious 16-year-old down when he was outsprinted by two senior riders after an ambitious lone attack was brought back.’
- ‘The Scot outsprinted the remainder of a five-man breakaway to take the win in Beziers 24 hours after one of the worst days of his brief Tour career.’
- ‘It was Bristol flanker Michael Lipman who somehow outsprinted Sale's speed merchants in a 70 metre romp to the line.’
- ‘Even so, it's almost always Tommy who gets home first, outsprinting the others up the hill, and then bragging about it the rest of the night.’
- ‘A biology teacher from the Swiss Alps spoiled the party by outsprinting the favourite Michellie Jones to the Opera House finish line.’
- ‘I had done the first race in this series about a month ago and she had outsprinted me for the finish.’
- ‘She outsprinted Carroll to win the 2000 race - only to have Carroll turn the tables on her in similar fashion at the 2002 finish.’
- ‘The Italian title was won by Paolo Bettini, who proved his Tour de France credentials by outsprinting his national rivals.’
- ‘Once they had outsprinted Mr Elborough, the crooks must have felt that they were home and dry.’
- ‘Erik Zabel was outsprinted for the second day in a row but insisted he was content to retain his green jersey in his native Germany.’
- ‘The stage victory went to Alejandro Valverde, who outsprinted Armstrong in a thrilling finale.’
- ‘By the halfway mark the pair held a lead of more than 15 minutes, although Durand eventually crossed the finish line just 34 seconds ahead of the main pack after outsprinting Rodriguez.’
- ‘Erik Zabel refused to be downhearted after being outsprinted for the third successive stage of the Tour de France.’
- ‘Quickening his stride, he outsprinted Able Prince, with Scintillation nearly two lengths behind in third.’
- ‘He has twice been crowned road race world champion, most recently in 2002 when he snuck up the inside of the bunch to outsprint his rivals in Lisbon.’
- ‘The pair worked well together, riding through several tunnels before the final steep two miles where Kay outsprinted the Egyptian to take his first win in a UCI international race.’
- ‘If he does not get rid of Hincapie, he is likely to be outsprinted by the American at the top.’
- ‘Furlan outsprinted Erik Zabel for the stage win’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.