Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Sell or be sold in greater quantities than.‘some experts predict that diesels will outsell petrol cars’→ outsold
- ‘At its launch in the London area it outsold the popular Yorkie bar.’
- ‘The CliffsNotes of The Scarlet Letter outsells the real book more than three to one.’
- ‘But how does he feel about Coke being outsold in Scotland by the other national drink, Irn-Bru?’
- ‘It entered the charts at No.1 and has already outsold his previous album.’
- ‘By the end of his life, in 1941, there were millions of scouts worldwide, and his quaint little handbook had outsold every other English book of its time.’
- ‘Unfortunately, a lack of official team licences and a combination of amateurish presentation and arcane menus has meant the game has always been outsold by the glossy Fifa series.’
- ‘Tomato sauce still dramatically outsells salsa in Australia.’
- ‘Indeed, in the two years since publication, only the Bible has outsold it.’
- ‘Its flagship product, ketchup, had steadily been losing ground over the 1990s, with salsa outselling it in the US.’
- ‘Scholastic knew the latest Potter adventure would be big because each successive book had outsold its predecessor rather than trailing off as with most series.’
- ‘And the new Astra outsold its competitors with just the five-door model available.’
- ‘For that brief moment in pop-culture history when turntables outsold guitars, did record companies ever try to force an image on them?’
- ‘While all are high-quality products, the old-fashioned, oversized, wood-fired country loaf still far outsells all of the other products combined.’
- ‘She uses the example from a few years back when salsa outsold ketchup for the first time.’
- ‘You know, the Latino influence you can see certainly in terms of salsa outsells ketchup.’
- ‘It took three years after the Macintosh's introduction in 1984 before it outsold the Apple II, its predecessor.’
- ‘This is one of the reasons that light rapid transit has outsold SkyTrain by over 30 to 1 in the past 25 years.’
- ‘A few months ago, Tesco reported that cod was being outsold by salmon because the ‘king of fish’ is 20p per pound cheaper.’
- ‘Last year's final at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium outsold the FA Cup Final that was held in the same venue, which shouts success by any yardstick.’
- ‘In America, salsa - with its peppery kick - outsells milder-mannered ketchup.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.