Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Old-fashioned.‘an outmoded Victorian building’
out of date, old-fashioned, outdated, out of fashion, outworn, dated, behind the times, ancient, archaic, antiquated, obsolescent, dead, obsolete, disused, defunct, abandoned, tired, exhausted, stale, hackneyed, superannuatedpasséold hat, out of the arkView synonyms
- ‘Many organizations fail to disband outdated or outmoded processes.’
- ‘Failure to do so will mean that outmoded services and practices will prevail and that improvements in the patient experience will not be achieved.’
- ‘For some, this is an outmoded concept, almost a quaint one.’
- ‘You may think of them as quaint or outmoded, but vanity units are incredibly useful in maintaining the look of a clutter-free bathroom.’
- ‘It would have forced us to re-vamp our outmoded taxation system.’
- ‘In the early 1990s the authorities froze the project because of lack of funding and outmoded technology.’
- ‘So it's a pretty dubious and in fact now a completely outmoded term.’
- ‘Historically both are central to the sides they represent but they should be no more than that, just outmoded symbols of a past which should be left behind.’
- ‘Costumes are cultural repositories; they are antiquated, outmoded images of a nostalgised past.’
- ‘I am suggesting that claims toward a kind of universal truth are not outmoded.’
- ‘To some, the sculpture park will seem an outmoded concept.’
- ‘I'm outmoded in this city of nouveau riche values and consumer durables.’
- ‘Property rates are an outmoded method of raising revenue as people's incomes are no longer related to the property that they live in.’
- ‘My only cavil is that I would have liked to see her in a part which gave her greater scope to display her abilities, rather than in this outdated and outmoded piece.’
- ‘Isn't it time to declare all such vessels outmoded, obsolete and a danger to peace?’
- ‘But then, who gives a toss for outmoded aesthetics these days, eh?’
- ‘Luckily, there's still plenty of outmoded and simplistic theories.’
- ‘Such twaddle is outmoded and a sure formula for disappointment.’
- ‘But at the same time they talked down the prospects for electrification as though it was yesterday's outmoded solution.’
- ‘Today, the risks of not knowing more about your customers mean that traditional methods of surveying us are increasingly outmoded.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.