One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Surpass in gross takings or profit.‘the film has outgrossed all other movie comedies’
- ‘By 1975, it was the biggest indie film distributor in Australia outgrossing every major Hollywood Studio on the continent.’
- ‘Maybe it's the effect of America being polarised during an election year, but in his home country of Canada it has outgrossed all other documentaries.’
- ‘And this ‘down year’ has already outgrossed the entirety of that year.’
- ‘The film featuring these two apparently unkillable ghosts started out as America's No. 1 box office hit, outgrossing every other movie during its first week of national release.’
- ‘It was certainly more profitable, taking in $129m in the US and millions more worldwide, comfortably outgrossing the original, even in Japan.’
- ‘In other international box office news, it has already outgrossed its domestic run by about $7 million and it still has many territories to open.’
- ‘By the end of its first run, however, it ended up outgrossing Love Story.’
- ‘It soon became the most financially successful 1971 release at the British box office, outgrossing even Diamonds Are Forever.’
- ‘The industry has gotten sequel lazy, assuming that sequels will all now outgross originals, as opposed to the 20% drop tradition of the past.’
- ‘It will be outgrossing his biggest movie by Wednesday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.