One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A player positioned on the part of the field furthest from the wicket.
- ‘The new rules work both ways - two new balls and more bouncers per over for bowlers but fewer outfielders for batsmen.’
- ‘Fleming is a capable outfielder and a useful lower-order batsman who likes to challenge the attack with shots square of the wicket.’
- ‘All 10 of the South Africa outfielders had a bowl as Taylor added 31 alongside Edwards and Wyatt was left on 24 not out.’
- ‘As India's wicket-keeper he claimed seven stumpings and took 21 catches; in addition he made two other catches as an outfielder.’
- ‘The fact of the matter is that the best batters and outfielders will come from India, even from the non-Test playing First Class cricket pool.’
- ‘The authorities covered the Eastern stand with giant mosquito nets, fearing that objects might be hurled at Australian outfielders by some of the more disgruntled elements.’
- ‘If the lashing rain makes it hard for outfielders to see the stumps, how about bails with flashing lights?’
- ‘After Smith, the opener is Durham's best outfielder, so it was incredible he dropped a catch Rashid flicked right to him at a straightish midwicket.’
- 1.1Baseball A player positioned on the grassy area beyond the infield.
- ‘The ball reaches the peak of its arc, and the two Tiger outfielders slow to a jog, watching it head for the fence.’
- ‘Robinson began his Hall of Fame career as an outfielder for the Reds.’
- ‘The outfielder made his major-league debut this season and played 37 games for the Reds.’
- ‘The most productive outfielder the Devil Rays have ever had is currently 22 years old.’
- ‘At age 40, the Giants outfielder is also the oldest player to win the award.’
- ‘Baseball outfielder Tony Oliva played for Minnesota from 1962 to 1976.’
- ‘Toronto traded outfielder Jayson Werth to Los Angeles for reliever Jason Frasor.’
- ‘That gives the San Francisco outfielder eight 40 - homers seasons overall.’
- ‘I've had outfielders throw strikes to the plate from the outfield wall in time to catch players well off guard.’
- ‘But they are forgetting that Babe Ruth could pitch, yet the Yankees chose to use him as an outfielder.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.