One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pipe through which a drain or sewer empties into the sea, a river, or a lake.‘a large sewage outfall pipe is to be extended’
- ‘The oil has been coming down the river sporadically for a number of months but with the outfall pipes into the river, environment officers have so far been unable to find the source.’
- ‘I have approved the contract documents for an extension of the outfall pipe.’
- ‘The documentary was covering a damaged marine sewer outfall pipe.’
- ‘The proposed location of the outfall pipe was now zoned as a special area of conservation.’
- ‘A thorough investigation has established that the spillage emanated from a storm outfall pipe.’
- ‘Each lateral drainage arm runs straight into an outfall pipe.’
- ‘No marine outfall pipe had yet been constructed.’
- ‘The council have granted a retrospective works licence for the sewage outfall pipe.’
- ‘A major element of the long-awaiting sewage treatment works will be finalised this week when the final 500 metres of the outfall pipe is put in place on the sea bed in the bay.’
- ‘The first source, he thinks, was outfall pipes from a local sewage plant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.