Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Clothing worn over other clothes, especially outdoors.
- ‘The top-selling outerwear, leather and denim line for men has inspired a new label for young women.’
- ‘Launder or dry-clean all clothing and outerwear.’
- ‘The site offers over 250 styles of men's and women's sportswear and outerwear, as well as hunting wear, including blaze wool and camouflage.’
- ‘In this case, the uniform may include ‘utilities, chemical warfare protective clothing, and similar combat outerwear.’’
- ‘Many people are often stuck on how to match outerwear with dresses.’
- ‘This spring, instead of buying your usual boring outerwear, get yourself a lavish, top-stitched dark denim jean jacket.’
- ‘They come in a wide variety of weights and thicknesses, and are used in everything from dress outerwear to hunting outerwear, gloves and sleeping bags.’
- ‘If the shirts sold well, they would launch a full menswear collection to include suits, trousers, outerwear, activewear, denim, and accessories.’
- ‘The wise dealer will choose a few good quality items of long underwear, outerwear, boots and accessories and stock them in as many sizes as practical.’
- ‘In 1985, girls pioneered underwear as outerwear.’
- ‘Your coat or outerwear is the look you have whenever you go outdoors.’
- ‘Shearling jackets are the latest in men's outerwear.’
- ‘Sizes range from 10 to 22, and prices start at $300 for sweaters, $900 for outerwear.’
- ‘Whether you are wearing them for underwear or outerwear, boxers are the way to go.’
- ‘You're already a step ahead of the rest with your new spring jacket, but there's no use stepping out with the coolest outerwear if your clothing doesn't follow suit.’
- ‘Things once considered undergarments regularly appear as outerwear.’
- ‘This is particularly true in winter, when scarves, boots, sweaters and other outerwear can clutter up hallway or mudroom space.’
- ‘Another great example of his growing expertise in designing outerwear was his graphite grey notch collar overcoat (with its pistachio nylon jacket liner).’
- ‘Don it with just about any type of outerwear: a leather jacket, a pea coat, and most definitely a parka.’
- ‘They were also able to expand their clothing line to include denim outfits, sweatshirts, outerwear, and accessories.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.