Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Out of date; obsolete.‘outdated equipment’
old-fashioned, out of date, outmoded, out of fashion, unfashionable, out of style, dated, out, outworn, old, former, musty, old-time, old-world, behind the times, behindhand, past, bygone, archaic, obsolescent, obsolete, ancient, antiquated, superannuated, defunct, medieval, prehistoric, antediluvian, old-fogeyish, old-fangled, backward-looking, quaint, anachronistic, crusted, feudal, fusty, moth-eaten, olde worldepassé, démodé, vieux jeuold hat, square, not with it, out of the ark, creaky, clunky, mouldyhorse-and-buggy, rinky-dink, mossysquare-toedView synonyms
- ‘The new rules will remove outdated references to penal servitude and imprisonment with hard labour.’
- ‘Old and outdated equipment is also a factor in the decision to retrench.’
- ‘Traditional degree classifications could become a thing of the past after a new report declared them outdated.’
- ‘It amazes me that many people do not realize this and still cling to the outdated relics of the past.’
- ‘If approval isn't granted in September, the application may die due to outdated financial data.’
- ‘If we are to mature as a society as well as a nation, then we should put outdated prejudices behind us, stop the silly jokes, and grow up.’
- ‘Rather than this being understood as outdated elitism, or arrogance, this can be read more subtly.’
- ‘These studies point to flaws in student assistance in this province, which is at best an outdated system.’
- ‘This is no longer a temptation for us, and so we leave behind this outdated moral teaching.’
- ‘It's antiquated and outdated, more of a reminder of a bygone era in college football.’
- ‘We need to reduce our dependence on a centralized, outdated and overstressed electrical grid.’
- ‘Take away the outdated reasoning, and what you have is an old-fashioned cartel.’
- ‘Maybe there's an outdated city law that needs to be amended, starting with a petition.’
- ‘You emphasize that some of those magazines from the past are strangely not outdated.’
- ‘So here we stand, out in the pasture in very much the same way as the outdated and obsolete horse.’
- ‘It was rundown, with outdated equipment and a half-empty order book.’
- ‘November 24 will signal the end of the outdated licensing system, which dates back to the First World War.’
- ‘Yet France and Germany, with the UK and Italy not far behind, say such criticism is outdated.’
- ‘Yet the easiest way to describe it is as a pop album recorded on hopelessly outdated equipment.’
- ‘The understanding that only through good examination results can one succeed has long been outdated.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.