One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a handicap rating that would merit carrying a weight below the minimum specified for a race.‘the horse was 13 lb out of the handicap’
- ‘I am pleasantly surprised there are only 11 runners but, with Marlborough heading the weights, plenty were deterred by the thought of being out of the handicap.’
- ‘Their smart four-year-old Matty Tun won £18,000 in a handicap at York on Dante day from 4lbs out of the handicap, and went into many people's notebooks that day, even though he hung right in the finish.’
- ‘Though racing from 3lb out of the handicap, he made all the running under John McAuley and held on gamely by a length from 6-1 shot Barathea Blazer.’
- ‘He is currently well out of the handicap for the Welsh Grand National but would be well-weighted if the top two weights, Kingsmark and Behrajan, are withdrawn.’
- ‘Despite his inclusion putting plenty of potential runners out of the handicap, the field will be big and the pace should be genuine.’
- ‘Meanwhile at Cork, A New Story may overcome the disadvantage of being 5lb out of the handicap to land the Paddy Power Cork Grand National.’
- ‘However, these horses are going to struggle to avoid an exclusion order because they will have to race off 40 and are going to be out of the handicap in every race.’
- ‘Ellenjay has to race from 8lbs out of the handicap, but that is offset somewhat by Danny Howard's claim and it is also interesting to note he has only ever won going right-handed.’
- ‘For the first time since June I did not bet him as I felt the race conditions would be against him - he was out of the handicap, and it was a huge field.’
- ‘Kerry Lads, from Lucinda Russell's Milnathort yard, is virtually certain to run, and despite his fall at Ayr last time out, he has a good each-way chance, even from a bit out of the handicap.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.