One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Behaving in a way that breaks the rules or is considered inappropriate.‘he had never stepped out of line with her before’
- ‘I am sick of being too scared to say what I think, or to tell people when they are out of line.’
- ‘Players are so in fear of stepping out of line off the pitch they are far from relaxed by the time they step onto it.’
- ‘I was boiling with anger and shouted that his behaviour was way out of line.’
- ‘But I think there are possible alternatives to censuring and rebuking those who step out of line.’
- ‘I got into an argument with the instructor, who gave me detention for speaking out of line.’
- ‘I AM not a believer in hitting players with hefty punishments any time they step out of line.’
- ‘I was way out of line, and I apologize from the bottom of my heart.’
- ‘As a player, I was never scared of telling people if they had stepped out of line and I'm no different as a manager.’
- ‘If you break rules, if you step out of line, then obviously you face the consequences.’
- ‘If he takes one step out of line during the two years after his release, he can be recalled to prison.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.