One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a toxic effect on the ear or its nerve supply.
- ‘Simultaneous administration of several ototoxic agents or prolonged treatment with high dosages of an ototoxic medication should be avoided when possible.’
- ‘It is assumed that people with dark eyes also have more melanin in the inner ear than those with light eyes, and melanin causes the retention of ototoxic derivatives within the cochlea.’
- ‘Exposure to solvents alone significantly increased the risk for hearing loss, most likely the result of ototoxic effects along the auditory pathway.’
- ‘Leading causes of acquired hearing loss include infectious diseases, especially meningitis and otitis media, trauma to the nervous system, damaging noise levels, and ototoxic drugs.’
- ‘These medications must be administered carefully in patients who are elderly, have poor renal function, require a prolonged course of medication, or require simultaneous administration of multiple ototoxic agents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.