Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of three small oval calcareous bodies in the inner ear of vertebrates, involved in sensing gravity and movement.
- ‘All of the identifiable teeth and otoliths from the samples were identified and depth ranges were assigned to each taxon based on the known depths of living counterparts.’
- ‘Growth data from otoliths indicate that sneakers and nesting males represent separate life histories.’
- ‘The macular neuromast organs bear otoliths, as described above.’
- ‘All teeth and otoliths were identified to species.’
- ‘Like the inner ear in humans, the otolith plays a role in hearing and balance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.