Each of three small oval calcareous bodies in the inner ear of vertebrates, involved in sensing gravity and movement.
- ‘All of the identifiable teeth and otoliths from the samples were identified and depth ranges were assigned to each taxon based on the known depths of living counterparts.’
- ‘Growth data from otoliths indicate that sneakers and nesting males represent separate life histories.’
- ‘Like the inner ear in humans, the otolith plays a role in hearing and balance.’
- ‘The macular neuromast organs bear otoliths, as described above.’
- ‘All teeth and otoliths were identified to species.’