Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One's wife, husband, or partner.‘treat your other half to a romantic outing for two’
girlfriend, girl, sweetheart, partner, significant other, inamorata, fiancéeView synonyms
- ‘Luckily I was able to pinch a dollop from my other half as he had ordered roast beef and all the trimmings.’
- ‘If she can't stop her other half straying, what chance do you think you have?’
- ‘Are they both striving for success and reluctant to give their other half the time they deserve?’
- ‘It was great to see him and his other half albeit only for a couple of hours.’
- ‘I was very pleasantly surprised when the editor introduced me and my other half to the rest of the team with a full bio.’
- ‘Running a business from home with your other half might sound like some people's idea of a nightmare.’
- ‘Forgive me - the other half has been away since Monday lunchtime and my libido is all backed up.’
- ‘My other half and I are constantly trying to persuade each other to try something new, but to no avail.’
- ‘My other half can treat himself to a slab and make it last a whole week.’
- ‘She sat at another table as her other half was apparently meeting her there soon and he has a bit of a temper.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.