One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A feather or bunch of feathers from an ostrich.
- ‘We could see jerky motion, and ostrich plumes bobbling atop the helmets.’
- ‘The birds don beaked half-masks and wield ostrich plume fans.’
- ‘Oooh, you mean you are not dying for a vermilion velveteen jacket with a matching ostrich plume collar and complementing box check pants?’
- ‘They were dressed in dark blue velvet robes adorned with the garter, star and collar, red velvet hoods, worn on the right shoulder, and black velvet bonnets topped with swaying ostrich plumes.’
- ‘Guests partied in the ballroom decorated with 10,000 red roses, fields of shimmering red fabric, red-sequined tablecloths and hundreds of red ostrich plumes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.