Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An opening into a vessel or cavity of the body.
opening, orifice, aperture, hole, outlet, inlet, ventView synonyms
- ‘An ascending dissection occasionally can occlude the ostium of a coronary artery and lead to myocardial infarction.’
- ‘The location of the left-sided ostia of the lesions would be unusual for diverticula.’
- ‘Accessory ostia of the maxillary sinus are found in about 30% of skulls; as many as three in one skull have been reported.’
- ‘The latter arise from the paranasal sinuses and protrude into the nasopharynx through the sinus ostia.’
- ‘The ostium leads to the second portion of the oviduct, the ampulla, which is the duct's dilated mid-portion where fertilization usually occurs.’
- 1.1 Each of a number of pores in the wall of a sponge, through which water is drawn in.
- ‘Water enters through pores called ostia, flows through canals to a spacious chamber called a spongocoel, and finally exits through large openings called oscula.’
- ‘For instance, many arthropods have lost extensive metamerism but still have remnants in the form of repeated organs (such as the limbs in cladocerans and spiders, or the heart ostia in a spider opisthosoma).’
- ‘Brianispongia has numerous inhalant ostia or pores and scattered exhalant exopores, as in the Wyoming sponge.’
- ‘Because of their lack of a continuous outer membrane and their lack of defined ostia, hexactinellids lack control over how much water passes through them.’
- ‘Both the sponges from Wyoming and those from the Great Basin have trabs of essentially the same size, as well as canals and ostia in the outer wall of essentially the same diameter.’
Early 17th century: from Latin, door, opening.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.