One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medical condition in which the bones become brittle and fragile from loss of tissue, typically as a result of hormonal changes, or deficiency of calcium or vitamin D.
- ‘This article was insulting to all men and women who have excruciating pain and severe loss of quality of life from osteoporosis.’
- ‘This includes pregnant women and people with osteoarthritis of the neck or osteoporosis of the spine.’
- ‘Thus hormone treatment is not a good choice for preventing osteoporosis for many women.’
- ‘Hysterectomy is a recognised risk factor for osteoporosis, although not for osteoarthritis.’
- ‘Use for more than three months results in appreciable bone loss, which may increase the risk of subsequent osteoporosis.’
- ‘We get through our cancer and heart disease only to face arthritis, dementia, and osteoporosis.’
- ‘If blood levels of calcium fall then calcium is withdrawn from bone, resulting in osteomalacia and osteoporosis.’
- ‘To prevent osteoporosis and heart disease, 15 to 20 years of treatment may be needed.’
- ‘Jogging reduces the risks of osteoporosis, heart disease and diabetes.’
- ‘Also with poor treatment growth may be delayed, there may be osteoporosis of the bones and the spleen may be damaged.’
- ‘Conditions other than osteoporosis can also cause low bone density levels and may also cause fractures.’
- ‘For example, the bone loss that causes osteoporosis in susceptible individuals is seen to some degree in all older people.’
- ‘If left untreated, it could lead to more serious conditions such as osteoporosis or cancer.’
- ‘Depression, as well as cardiovascular disease, must be regarded as a risk factor for osteoporosis.’
- ‘I am a full time wheelchair user with spina bifida and also have emphysema and osteoporosis.’
- ‘The important issue for treatment for osteoporosis is prevention of fractures and not changes in bone mineral density.’
- ‘Health workers will also be on hand to answer questions about osteoporosis, diabetes, diet and how to give up smoking.’
- ‘Fluoridation has been linked to bone cancer, irritable bowel syndrome and osteoporosis.’
- ‘As with women, the best way to diagnose osteoporosis is with a bone density test.’
- ‘Loss of oestrogen is associated with an increased risk of osteoporosis and coronary artery disease.’
Mid 19th century: from osteo- ‘bone’ + Greek poros ‘passage, pore’ + -osis.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.