One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medical condition in which the protein and mineral content of bone tissue is reduced, but less severely than in osteoporosis.
- ‘Over time, the inflammatory pain causes disuse of affected joints leading to generalized osteopenia of whole bones.’
- ‘Women with severe osteopenia or osteoporosis must be cautious when engaging in physical activity.’
- ‘The inability to maximize peak bone mass has significant implications for osteopenia and osteoporosis in adulthood, when bone resorption exceeds bone formation.’
- ‘Radiographs will show osteopenia only after there is 20% to 30% bone loss.’
- ‘Approximately 13 to 18 percent of women in the United States who are at least 50 years old have osteoporosis and an additional 37 to 50 percent have osteopenia.’
1960s: from osteo- and Greek penia ‘poverty’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.