One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Bishop is closer to the modernists on this front and closer, particularly, to what Altieri calls ‘the romantic values they were ostensively denying’.’
- ‘How did these lists - which ostensively are trying to measure the same thing - get so dissimilar?’
- ‘Drinking was ostensively forbidden under their roof, so Hemingway drank clandestinely in his room, drawing from a host of liberated Italian liqueurs hidden in his bookcases.’
- ‘There is no doubt that this ostensively highly intelligent audience received his lecture with enthusiasm and acclaim.’
- ‘Foundationalist empiricism recognizes two source of meaning: some terms derive their meanings ostensively, by correlation with whatever is ‘directly presented’ in experience.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.