Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Germany) a citizen of the former German Democratic Republic.
- ‘‘The wall in their heads ‘- the psychological division between so-called Ossis and Wessis - did not rise overnight.’’
- ‘Using the provincial city of Karlsruhe as a backdrop, The Student Conductor is set in 1989, when the Berlin Wall was first crumbling and tensions between Ossis and Wessis were emerging.’
- ‘After the initial tidal wave of western capitalist media (try watching German MTV), it seems that ‘Ossies ‘have become at least a little disillusioned with it all.’
- ‘Its the expansion of the West German hostility to Ossies now finding echoes in complaints from London tradesmen about Polish plumbers.’
- ‘Inhabitants of the Federal Republic of Germany, known as the ‘Wessies,’ had joked that the land inhabited by their eastern cousins, the ‘Ossies’, was perhaps German, but clearly was neither democratic nor a republic.’
- ‘Meanwhile, an astounding 24 percent of those in the west and 12 percent of so-called Ossis said they want the Wall back.’
- ‘The protest was just one sign of how deeply disenchanted many east Germans, ‘Ossies ‘, are with their west German, ‘Wessie ‘, neighbours and vice versa.’
- ‘Employed by a construction company for almost half the wage paid to his West German counterpart, he and the other Ossies were given accommodation in a removals container.’
- ‘It was a necessary concession, as the Ossies felt dominated by their western counterpart.’
- ‘It has helped reduce health inequalities between the former East and West and contributed to a remarkable rise in life expectancy of the ‘Ossies.’’
German, probably an abbreviation of Ostdeutsche East German.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.