One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pass by or as if by osmosis.‘publishing companies osmose like amoebae into ever larger conglomerates’
drain, filter, percolate, filtrate, discharge, strain, leak, separateView synonyms
- ‘Fenn provides romantic interest as the stripper who seems to osmose into Marilyn Monroe at one point.’
- ‘Generally the baddies followed you through the tunnels that you dug, but sometimes they'd just osmose through the dirt straight at you, causing much panic.’
- ‘It didn't make you wet - it blindly ignored your clothes, especially the waterproof ones, and osmosed directly through your skin into your flesh.’
- ‘The negative and positive ions from the sea osmose into a chilled and flowing album that reflects the soothing power of the big outdoors.’
- ‘Partly because this is Found Music from adulthood, not evocative Music osmosed from childhood.’
Mid 19th century (as a noun in the sense ‘osmosis’): from the element common to endosmose and exosmose.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.