Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for demonstrating or measuring osmotic pressure.
- ‘Osmotic potential was determined on the same leaf with a vapour pressure osmometer, after samples were frozen and thawed.’
- ‘Individual cell osmotic pressure is measured using a picolitre osmometer.’
- ‘To obtain a direct measurement of the osmolality, 50 randomly selected samples were analyzed with an osmometer.’
- ‘The concentration of the samples exceeded the capacity of the osmometer and therefore were diluted with distilled water (1: 1 or 1: 2 urine: water depending on concentration of sample) prior to the measurement.’
- ‘The value of the solution dripping out of the segments was measured periodically with the osmometer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.