One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The concentration of a solution expressed as the total number of solute particles per kilogram.
- ‘To obtain a direct measurement of the osmolality, 50 randomly selected samples were analyzed with an osmometer.’
- ‘They are also regulatory organs, controlling the volume and the composition of the body fluids and maintaining the correct osmolality, ion concentrations, and acid - base status of the body.’
- ‘The infusion should be diluted to reduce the osmolality, even if an increase in infusion rate is necessary.’
- ‘The important factors in the production of phlebitis by amino acid solutions were osmolality and the amount of potassium infused per day.’
- ‘The osmolality of all prepared solutions was measured with an osmometer.’
1950s: blend of osmotic (see osmosis) and molal, + -ity.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.