One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1humorous Relating to kissing.
- ‘The locus of affection is in oscular delivery.’
- ‘Their oscular activity was used as a promotional tool for Melbourne ACT-UP's World AIDS Day Kiss-In.’
Relating to an osculum.
- ‘The oscular margin of the new genus is composed of diactines that are parallel to the main body axis.’
- ‘The sponge's basal part, oscular part and side part occur at different levels within the mud layers, which might have resulted from rapid burial.’
- ‘Circular parietal openings increase in size from the base to the oscular region.’
- ‘Few long marginalia projecting from the oscular margin may belong to an oscular spicule rim.’
- ‘Sponge heights and oscular diameters were measured using ImageTool.’
Early 19th century: from Latin osculum ‘mouth, kiss’ (diminutive of os ‘mouth’) + -ar.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.