Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for viewing oscillations by a display on the screen of a cathode ray tube.
- ‘In single-channel experiments, the membrane current was monitored with an oscilloscope and recorded on a chart recorder for data analysis by hand.’
- ‘The voltage will produce a waveform on the oscilloscope.’
- ‘The screenshot was taken while looping pattern five, so you can see the activity of the individual instruments in the oscilloscopes at the upper right.’
- ‘He typed in a command on the keyboard, and the playback fed into the oscilloscope's fluorescent cathode-ray screen.’
- ‘An external trigger is provided for analogue signal analysis using an oscilloscope.’
- ‘The square pulses were monitored displaying the signal in an oscilloscope.’
- ‘The service man, say, uses an oscilloscope to measure electric voltages in more or less arbitrary parts of the surface of a non-functioning TV set.’
- ‘The signal was isolated from the excitation laser beam with a glass filter and a pinhole, detected by a photomultiplier tube, and recorded by a digital oscilloscope.’
- ‘‘We now troubleshoot them manually using voltage meters and oscilloscopes,’ he said.’
- ‘One member of the radio society even has a major collection of cathode ray oscilloscopes, which he displays along one complete wall in his home.’
- ‘A new method for correcting common timing errors in high-speed oscilloscopes has been developed by researchers at the National Institute of Standards and Technology.’
- ‘The output signals from the signal conditioner were also displayed on a digital oscilloscope for online evaluation.’
- ‘During testing, the current was continuously monitored on an oscilloscope positioned adjacent to the testing chamber, thereby allowing constant observation of the animals as well.’
- ‘It is important to understand the fundamental difference between real-time oscilloscopes and sampling oscilloscopes.’
- ‘On an oscilloscope, standard alternating current power looks like a wave with peaks and valleys occurring 60 times a second.’
- ‘In the past couple of years, oscilloscopes have sailed through the gigahertz barrier.’
- ‘The amplified signal was monitored with a storage oscilloscope and recorded with a tape recorder or a strip chart recorder.’
- ‘Single-channel current fluctuations were displayed on an oscilloscope and recorded on Digital Audio Tape.’
- ‘Special test patterns are designed for use with instrumentation such as color analyzers, photometers, waveform monitors, and oscilloscopes.’
- ‘This varying current can then be used to activate a meter or oscilloscope or, after suitable processing, make an audio tape or some such permanent record.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.