Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for generating oscillatory electric currents or voltages by non-mechanical means.
- ‘In this type of amplifier, the output from the oscillator passes once through a gain medium that is pumped optically or electrically.’
- ‘Ac power is converted to a high-voltage Dc current, which an oscillator or resonator outputs as an alternating current.’
- ‘Mass-produced quartz crystal oscillators are found in virtually every piece of electronic equipment, from wristwatches to GPS receivers.’
- ‘Digital phase locked loop with a digital voltage controlled oscillator in a recording information reproducing apparatus’
- ‘CTS has launched a line of miniature mount, voltage-controlled crystal oscillators that show clean, low jitter properties.’
- ‘We model the filtering characteristic of the electrical oscillator by a Lorentzian transmission function’
- ‘Internal voltage generation circuit having ring oscillator whose frequency changes inversely with power supply voltage’
- ‘One big use of capacitors is to team them up with inductors to create oscillators.’
- ‘Coupler used to fabricate add-drop devices, dispersion compensators, amplifiers, oscillators, superluminescent devices, and communications systems’
- ‘Low-power voltage controlled oscillators in 90 nm CMOS using high-quality thin-film post-processed inductors’
- ‘Additionally, POLARIS reduces total component count by integrating voltage control oscillators and loop filters.’
- ‘Passive components are capacitors, resistors, connectors, filters, inductors, and oscillators.’
- ‘The test circuit is provided with a feedback path so that the test circuit and feedback path together form a free-running oscillator.’
- ‘Lieber, Ham and colleagues used their technique to produce nanowire-based logical inverters and ring oscillators, which are inverters in series.’
- ‘The amplitude gain is determined by the detected photocurrent, which is used to modulate the amplitude of the local oscillator.’
- ‘We used an electromechanical oscillator to apply a known vertical oscillation to the rover antenna.’
- ‘Each coil of wire is connected to an oscillator that produces pulses of current.’
- ‘A synthetic circuit that was designed to be an oscillator was shown to convert into a bistable switch when one of the interactions was removed.’
- ‘The field of electronic components spans many types of products, from diodes to EMI and RFI shielding devices to crystals and oscillators.’
- ‘The pure tone of a tuning-fork and some notes from a flute come close, and electrical oscillators can generate a single frequency.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.