One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Characteristic of the writings of George Orwell, especially with reference to his dystopian account of a future totalitarian state in Nineteen Eighty-Four.‘a frightening view of an Orwellian future’
- ‘They have concealed their radical agenda from the American public using Orwellian rhetoric.’
- ‘But unless you have no objections to Orwellian doublespeak, you must recognize that this is a robbery gone wrong.’
- ‘Has the country gone crazy and turned into an Orwellian nightmare of big brother with added national socialism and publicly supported witch hunts?’
- ‘The Japanese anime director, Mamoru Oshii, uses a Polish cast to convey the alienation of his Orwellian vision.’
- ‘However, besides being far too Orwellian, such a scheme would be a monster to control.’
- ‘The USA Patriot Act is a giant step toward that Orwellian world awaiting us in the future.’
- ‘Certainly, we'll see some Orwellian legislation enacted, but once sanity returns, it'll be something else.’
- ‘That you praise a doctored photo as being more truthful than words strikes me as particularly ironic, if not Orwellian.’
- ‘They also documented the expanding threat of coercive governance as a critique of this Orwellian age.’
- ‘Some content providers seem to have ambitions that are more appropriate for some Orwellian dystopia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.