One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A town in Umbria, central Italy; population 21,059 (2008). It lies at the centre of a wine-producing area.
A white wine made near Orvieto.
- ‘The Orvieto, on the other hand, was delicious: honeyed, with superb acidity and a hint almonds and lemons, it was tempting to stick with it all night.’
- ‘I had crab in avocado, with an apple mayonnaise for starter, then grilled mixed fish, followed by profiteroles, washed down with Orvieto and a couple of Irish coffees.’
- ‘Intrinsically more interesting than either Trebbiano or Drupeggio, it is expected to have a much larger role in Umbrian white wines, particularly Orvieto, in the future.’
- ‘Pop one open, preferably to the Italian white wine page, and fantasize about the luscious character of a 1984 Orvieto.’
- ‘Chablis, Sancerre, Pinot Grigio and Orvieto are all light-bodied whites that make fine complements to oysters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.