Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a shoot, stem, or axis) growing vertically.
- ‘Branches are orthotropic and morphologically identical to the trunk.’
- ‘In the Champagnat model, the mixed axes have a spiral phyllotaxis and begin their growth with an orthotropic direction before they bend under their own weight.’
- ‘Two plants were monopodial, while one tree possessed a 60-cm-long secondary leader (an orthotropic shoot arising from the main stem) that had developed about 1 m above soil level.’
- ‘MS indicates seedling main stem, T, seedling ramifications; S, orthotropic shoots on stolon (St); R, shoots on rhizomes (Rh).’
- ‘The mature ovules of both species are orthotropic and crassinucellate.’
Having three mutually perpendicular planes of elastic symmetry at each point.
- ‘Owing to its high strength and stiffness, the orthotropic steel deck system has been widely used in the construction of long-span steel bridges.’
- ‘The orthotropic steel plate deck bridge with a double rib system, is a structural steel member with a steel plate deck welded to a closed steel rib.’
- ‘In the design of the orthotropic deck, the composite interaction between the steel deck and the pavement under local and global loading was considered.’
- ‘Renovation techniques for orthotropic steel bridge decks are needed to solve fatigue problems in the decks of these bridges.’
- ‘West, Vancouver, fabricated the new bridge sections upside down and welded orthotropic troughs to the 16.8-m-wide deck plates.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.