Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or denoting a crystal system or three-dimensional geometrical arrangement having three unequal axes at right angles.
solid, concrete, having depth, sculptural, roundedView synonyms
- ‘These are, in order of decreasing symmetry, the cubic, hexagonal, tetragonal, trigonal, orthorhombic, monoclinic, and triclinic systems.’
- ‘The pole figure patterns have an axial symmetrical to slightly orthorhombic shape and suggest predominantly flattening fabrics.’
- ‘However, at higher COHbA concentration, long orthorhombic crystals formed after 22 h of incubation.’
- ‘Cordierite, [Mg.sub.2] [Al.sub.4] [Si.sub.5] [O.sub.18], crystallizes in the orthorhombic crystal system.’
- ‘In the lamello-columnar phase obtained at low salt concentration, NCPs order into either a two-dimensional columnar hexagonal phase or into three-dimensional orthorhombic (quasi-hexagonal) crystals.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.