One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In linguistics, the status of an item as a compound depends more on phonological than orthographic criteria, but in typography the orthographic forms have great importance.’
- ‘These results suggest that the acquisition of phonological skills is a necessary step in building the orthographic lexicon.’
- ‘Competent readers are able to recognize and directly retrieve words from an orthographic lexicon consisting of a large number of memory representations of word spellings.’
- ‘Thus, orthographic differences now disguise what is a similar pronunciation and make the languages look more different in their written form than they are when spoken.’
- ‘Just as a name must conform to the phonological system of the language, so the way it is written must conform to the orthographic conventions of the language.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.