Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A system of making engineering drawings showing several different views of an object at right angles to each other on a single drawing.
- ‘Again, let [Pi] [theta]: R 2 [arrow right] R denote the orthogonal projection on the line L [theta] through the origin that makes an angle [theta] with the horizontal.’
- ‘The hidden neuron is removed by analyzing the orthogonal projection correlations among the outputs of other hidden neurons.’
- ‘A simple method is proposed to find the orthogonal projection of a given point to the solution set of a system of linear equations.’
- 1.1count noun A drawing made using orthogonal projection.
- ‘Vessels were documented in at least two identical orthogonal projections at baseline and follow-up.’
- ‘Reinhardt, with much intuition but little experimental evidence, used orthogonal projections to illustrate how the tip of a fungal hypha may expand.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.