One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to mountains, especially as regards their position and form.
- ‘The 925-mb pressure level surface at about 750 m a.s.l. would be closer to frequent bird migration altitudes but is more exposed to orographic distortions and often not available.’
- ‘It's an elongated depression between orographic protuberances.’
- 1.1 (of clouds or rainfall) resulting from the effects of mountains in forcing moist air to rise.
- ‘These types of clouds are called "orographic clouds", which develop in response to lifting forced by the topography the earth.’
- ‘This wave cloud pattern formed off the Île Amsterdam in the far southern Indian Ocean, due to orographic lift of an airmass by the island.’
- ‘When there is an isolated peak, a banner cloud can form, which is a type of orographic cloud.’
- ‘Hilly areas can get extra rainfall from what is known as the orographic effect which occurs where air is forced to rise over high ground, causing clouds followed by rain.’
- ‘Maximum precipitation values in Antarctica are found a short way inland at an altitude of about 1600 m, where orographic precipitation is greatest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.