One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A process in which a section of the earth's crust is folded and deformed by lateral compression to form a mountain range.‘present rates of denudation and orogeny’count noun ‘the Hercynian and Alpine orogenies’
- ‘Granitoids are abundant in the Iberian Massif, and result from melting of the continental crust thickened during the Variscan orogeny.’
- ‘The tectonic events began with the Penobscottian orogeny in the Cambrian Period that affected northwestern to north-central Maine.’
- ‘Together with the Appalachian, Caledonian and Variscan orogens, the Uralian orogeny contributed to the assembly of the late Palaeozoic supercontinent of Pangaea.’
- ‘The Dalradian rocks in Arran were initially folded during the Caledonian orogeny into a recumbent structure known as the Aberfoyle synform.’
- ‘Around Britain a series of deep seismic traverses has revealed many of the structures produced during the Caledonian orogeny and other earth movements that are continued out over the continental shelf.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.