Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A process in which a section of the earth's crust is folded and deformed by lateral compression to form a mountain range.‘present rates of denudation and orogeny’count noun ‘the Hercynian and Alpine orogenies’
- ‘Around Britain a series of deep seismic traverses has revealed many of the structures produced during the Caledonian orogeny and other earth movements that are continued out over the continental shelf.’
- ‘The tectonic events began with the Penobscottian orogeny in the Cambrian Period that affected northwestern to north-central Maine.’
- ‘The Dalradian rocks in Arran were initially folded during the Caledonian orogeny into a recumbent structure known as the Aberfoyle synform.’
- ‘Granitoids are abundant in the Iberian Massif, and result from melting of the continental crust thickened during the Variscan orogeny.’
- ‘Together with the Appalachian, Caledonian and Variscan orogens, the Uralian orogeny contributed to the assembly of the late Palaeozoic supercontinent of Pangaea.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.