Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mainly bipedal herbivorous dinosaur.
- ‘Meanwhile, the much smaller ornithischian dinosaurs - the ornithopods and stegosaurs - browsed on the undergrowth.’
- ‘The best-known ornithopods are the hadrosaurs, or ‘duckbilled dinosaurs’, but the Clayton Lake tracks are a little too old to have been made by hadrosaurs.’
- ‘Virtually all of the common major groups of theropods and ornithopods typical of the Late Cretaceous of northern North America are present.’
- ‘Such stomach stones or gastroliths have been reported from the gut regions or found nearby of prosauropods, sauropods and ornithopods.’
- ‘The ornithopods, for example, depended on fleetness of foot and acute sight and hearing.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Ornithopoda, from Greek ornis, ornith- ‘bird’ + pous, pod- ‘foot’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.