Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The scientific study of birds.
- ‘The role that field guides (together with their essential companion, binoculars) have played in ornithology is difficult to overstate.’
- ‘What do you consider your most important contribution to ornithology?’
- ‘The German author is widely recognized for his work in ornithology.’
- ‘The ability to establish a technique for age estimation in wild birds will provide far-reaching benefits to aviculture, ornithology, and science in general.’
- ‘The offspring of a long line of doctors, Mayr chose instead to concentrate his considerable intellectual abilities in the field of zoology, with a special interest in ornithology.’
- ‘Twomey was one of the young men turned on to ornithology by a distinguished pioneer naturalist, Frank L. Farley, author of Birds of the Battle River Region of Central Alberta.’
- ‘After getting a master's in ornithology from Cornell University, she came to the Museum in 1956.’
- ‘His broad biological knowledge extended far beyond ornithology, and his scientific competence and expertise rewarded him with an international reputation.’
- ‘With a keen interest in ornithology as well as chemistry; he worked as a volunteer at the RSPB reserve at Minsmere.’
- ‘This fresh autobiographical study in amateur ornithology may be one of the first birding romance novels!’
- ‘He produced two classics of Old World ornithology, first The Birds of Burma in 1940, followed by The Birds of Borneo in 1960.’
- ‘Early works covering Norfolk ornithology make fascinating reading.’
- ‘This account of the history of ornithology begins with a survey of writings on birds by the ancient Chinese, Greeks and Romans.’
- ‘His early interest in entomology was extended to ornithology after his arrival in the colony, and he sent many specimens back to England.’
- ‘He travelled extensively after he retired, pursuing his interests in wildlife and wild places, and, in particular, ornithology.’
- ‘Priscilla had just begun studying ornithology, and she quickly applied to her university for funds to cover airfare and expenses for a trip to Rodrigues.’
- ‘Its objectives are the advancement of ornithology and the promotion of the scientific study of birds among ornithologists in Europe.’
- ‘The Auk, their quarterly journal of ornithology, contains the results of original scientific research and book reviews and is one of the foremost in the field.’
- ‘Hence, we should not only urge our students to think about the broader implications of their studies in ornithology, but to acquire as deep a training in avian biology as possible.’
- ‘The non profit-making society aims to advance the education of the public in the knowledge, understanding and appreciation of ornithology, birds and bird study and promote protection of wild birds.’
Late 17th century: from modern Latin ornithologia, from Greek ornithologos ‘treating of birds’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.