Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting herbivorous dinosaurs of an order distinguished by having a pelvic structure resembling that of birds.Compare with saurischian
- ‘The University of California Museum of Paleontology is proud to present displays of ornithischian dinosaurs.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the much smaller ornithischian dinosaurs - the ornithopods and stegosaurs - browsed on the undergrowth.’
- ‘The main reason is the lack of good specimens; theropod remains are fairly rare and more often than not fragmentary - theropods have a poor fossil record compared to most of the ornithischian dinosaurs.’
- ‘The only definite ornithischian materials known from this unit are the fragmentary holotype specimens of Tatisaurus and Bienosaurus and some indeterminate postcranial material.’
- ‘The williams Fork Formation preserves a diverse dinosaur fauna containing at least nine saurischian and five ornithischian species.’
An ornithischian dinosaur.
- ‘The thyreophorans are the armored ornithischians: the stegosaurs and ankylosaurs.’
- ‘Ceratopsians were ornithischians, or ‘bird-hipped’ dinosaurs.’
- ‘The reasons for the extreme rarity of ornithischians in the Lower Jurassic of China are unclear at present.’
- ‘A number of interesting structural adaptations were developed within the ornithischians.’
- ‘The evidence of nesting and parental care in ornithischian, sauropod, and theropod dinosaurs is extensive.’
Early 20th century: from modern Latin Ornithiscia, from Greek ornis, ornith- bird + iskhion hip joint.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.