One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The most famous building of this moment is C. R. Mackintosh's Glasgow School of Art, begun in 1897 and balanced between traditionalism, ornamentalism, and a quite personal style.’
- ‘And how can she believe men are imprisoned in this ornamentalism against which women have already revolted when women are as preoccupied by their looks as ever?’
- ‘But in inter-war Shanghai, the style's lavish ornamentalism represented more than that - it was an aesthetic meeting ground for the neoclassicism of the British Empire and the brash spirit of American capitalism.’
- ‘Irvine covers a number of styles, from rural retreats to urban settings, and from the 18th century ornamentalism of William Kent to the cosmopolitan style of Hicks.’
- ‘Lord Lytton had noted the importance of ‘birth, rank and hereditary influence’ in India and helped create the ornamentalism Cannadine examines.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.